We were under the impression that completing this exercise for Man City would be pretty straight forward. You claim a domestic treble, win a second league title, everything is perfect, right? Not precisely, and that’s not due to the UEFA investigations either.
There’s loads of work that needs to be done with this club if they wish to stay in front in the 2019/20 season. Between players that are leaving, like Vincent Kompany, players that might want to go, including Nicolas Otamendi and Ilkay Gundogan, and players that are coming to an end on their contracts, such as David Silva and Fernandinho, there are urgent calls to make.
So, here is our assessment of the Manchester City squad and what might happen during the summer transfer window.
- Ederson: Contract expires in 2025, and he is still only 25 years old, so it’s worth keeping him on.
- Claudio Bravo: He’s been injured throughout the year and, due to his age, might want to return to regular football. He will never be number 1 again, and therefore it’s wise to sell him.
- Arijanet Muric: The club loves him, but require a veteran backup for the team. Therefore, it’s advisable to send him on loan.
- Daniel Grimshaw: Keep him on.
- John Stones, Aymeric Laporte, Oleksandr Zinchenko, and Kyle Walker: Keep
- Nicolas Otamendi: Pep doesn’t trust this player and won’t play much once you get an elite central defender on the team to replace Kompany. So sell him while you can.
- Vincent Kompany: Free transfer to Anderlecht.
- Eliaqium Mangala: Man City have been trying to get rid of this player for years. Sell him while the opportunity is still there or give him away.
- Benjamin Mendy: Concerns are growing over his commitment, and he is unable to stay fit. Sell him and upgrade his position.
- Danilo: He’s dependable and reliable in various positions, so it’s wise to keep him.
- Tosin Adarabioyo: Homegrown player with loads of value. Keep and extend.
- Bernardo Silva, Raheem Sterling, Kevin De Bruyne, Phil Foden: Keep
- Douglas Luiz: Still a young player that can mature elsewhere, so loan him
- Fernandinho: Vital player for the team that cannot be replaced at the moment, so keep him.
- Ilkay Gundogan: He stated that he wouldn’t sign a new contract, so its best to sell him now.
- Fabian Delph: Sell
- David Silva: Keep player unless he decides to leave.
- Leroy Sane: Still young and packed with skills. Keep and extend.
- Riyad Mahrez: Give player time to adapt at Manchester City.
- Sergio Aguero: Keep player until he wants to leave.
- Gabriel Jesus: Keep
- Patrick Roberts: Another club should take him off Man City’s hands. Alternatively, you can also loan this player to gain experience as he is still very young.
- Jack Harrison: You can extend his contract to preserve his value. Alternatively, Pep can send him to another club with a similar manager to allow the player to grow.